India celebrates 15 years of Internet in the country and while we still fuss over the penetration of Internet in India, the fact is that we are world’s fourth largest Internet country and by 2013, India will be 3rd largest in terms of Internet users.
India Online – Quick Snapshots
- With 81 million Internet users1 India today ranks fourth in terms of Internet users worldwide.
- Rediff.com was the first .com domain name registered in India in 1996.
- India has 180,000 cyber cafes and 75,0002 Community Service Centres (CSCs) that cater to the Internet access needs of consumers
- www.irctc.co.in, the website of the Indian Railways Catering and Ticketing Corporation, is the most searched website.
- 84 percent of total Internet users visit social networking sites in India.
- India’s mobile market is predicted to reach 868.47 million users by 2013.
- The mobile Internet is primarily used to check emails and search for information.
- India has registered a total of 1.037 million .com and .net domain names.
- India is predicted to have the third largest number of Internet users by 2013 [via/Verisign].
Sort of exponential growth, but do you think Mobile Internet holds more promise?