Vuclip, a premium mobile video on demand (VOD) service has released its Global Video Insights Report for the year 2015, comparing developing markets such as India with developed markets in terms video consumption behaviour of users.
The insights are a result of a comprehensive online survey of 4600 users across six developing (India, Malaysia, Thailand, Indonesia, UAE and Philippines) and four developed (USA, UK, Singapore and Australia) markets.
The survey insights fall under the four broad categories of OTT VOD service features that viewers consider important, device preference, types of video content consumed and video consumption behavior in terms of preference to stream or download.
OTT VOD Service Features that Viewers Consider Important:
- Freshness of content (65%) as well as variety in content catalogue considered most important by Indian viewers.
- Indian viewers lay greater emphasis on video quality (30%) as against those in developed nations (23%).
- 23% of viewers in India view buffering as a key inhibitor to video consumption on smartphones.
Device Preference for Video Consumption:
- Smartphones are the most preferred device for personal video consumption in both the markets.
- The proportion of smartphone and PC/Laptop owners watching videos on these devices (55% for both) in India is slightly above that of developed markets (52% and 50% respectively).
- Frequency of viewing television in India is significantly higher than in developed nations.
Type of Video Content Consumed Across Devices:
- 91% viewers who participated in the survey indicated that in addition to live broadcast, they preferred the television for long form consumption such as films and videos with run time of more than ten minutes. Only 33% of smartphone users in India use the device to view such content.
- 85% viewers in India consume short form video content (run time of under ten minutes) on smartphones as against 71% on laptops.
Video Consumption Behavior:
- Unlike developed markets wherein usage of WiFi and mobile networks for accessing mobile internet is proportionate (51% and 49% respectively), mobile network usage is significantly higher (65%) in India.
- Conversely, propensity to stream videos is much higher in developed nations as compared to developing nations such as India owing to better network connectivity.
- Downloads via torrent are dominant in India as compared to download through other subscription based websites.