A Product Manager’s basket of skills and responsibilities are so large that sometimes it isn’t immediately obvious as to the broad skills or skill-like aspects of Product Management that he/she must be aware of. In this video of a Google Ventures/Greylock Partners event in San Francisco featuring Johanna Wright, Craig Walker, and Adam Nash, this exact subject is talked about and experienced PMs offer their views.
1. Familiarize yourself with the technical aspects, so you know what is possible or not possible.
2. Vision & Leadership are important to work with engineers.
3. Software is a team sport, so get used to dealing with disagreements.
4. Worry about everything. From small things like FAQs to PR & Marketing.
5. Know your product and the users really, really well.
6. Be tenacious. Your ideas may be rejected, but stick by them and continue motivating the team.
7. Collaboration and partnership with tech team is extremely crucial so develop a good rapport.
Want to kickstart your product management career? Go for our Product Management Course and become a 10X better product leader!