After all the speculation, Airtel has launched it’s DTH service (branded Airtel digital TV, will go live by October 9th) across 62 cities and the same will be available via 21,000 retail points (including it’s customer relationship centres).
Couple of interesting features/content:
- On screen account meter
- Last viewed channel in case of power disruption/switch off
- Low battery indicator on the screen
- Interactive applications such as iMatinee (Book cinema tickets), iTravel (Browse and book travel packages), iShop (Shop on TV for your favorite brands), iCity (Get your city’s information) and Widgets (Update yourself on latest stock news). 8 screen iNews, 2 / 4 screen iSports.
- World space Radio (Exclusive content ) [via]
DTH Market Size
- Current user base stands at ~6.5 million (total TV household in India ~124 mn)
- By 2011, the DTH subscriber base is expected to grow to 25mn
- Key players include DishTV, Tata Sky , Sun Direct and Reliance.
- DishTV claims 50% market share and aims to add five million subscribers by March 2009
Earlier, Reliance launched it’s DTH service in the month of August and is targeting 40% of the market in the next 12 months.
It’s amazing to see how Airtel has diversified into different businesses and yet has managed to maintain it’s quality of service.
Are you on DTH?