Update: Amazon has entered Indian market. Read our exclusive coverage:
- Amazon India Goes Live with Junglee
- Why Junglee is a Brilliant Move by Amazon
- This is why Amazon’s Junglee is gonna SMASH the B**ls of Indian e-Commerce players
- Of Product discovery, Smaller Retailers and Junglee
Amazon has been testing Indian waters for the last few months and we have got a
grapevine confirmed news that the Amazin is entering India by Q1 2012.
Early Signs: Amazon’s India Venture
- Amazon has hired Madhu M from Landmark (retail chain) to head its India books operations. Madhu is from IIM Ahmedabad and is now SVM at Amazon India (Chennai, where Amazon also has Kindle team) – he will head Amazon India operations.
- Amazon is hiring across all levels in Non-Tech, IIM,ISB good education MBA grade… earlier exposure to Retails or Online domain…Exposure dealing with Buyers/seller/Vendors [here is the tweet from Amazon HR]
Also, Amazon is hiring fulfilment manager in India.
What about FDI regulations? Well, FDI is now allowed in 6 metros and Amazon might partner with a player (or like Groupon, acquire a small player) and enter the Indian market.
What about Flipkart Acquisition?
Well, our tipster tells us that one of the Flipkart founders was in Seattle for a long time (a month or so) last year & talks broke down when Flipkart asked for a very high buyout price. And probably that’s when Flipkart decided to foray into all things ecommerce and sees the need to expand (and create a consumer brand) before Amazon enters India.
As of now, all we know is that Amazon will enter Indian market in another 6 months and is now building the India team. We will keep you updated with more details [do send us any tip/news via this form].