This podcast brings you actionable ideas and insights from the web. In today’s episode, we bring you the key summary and ideas from the book Build by Tony Fadell.
Becoming a Manager: 6 things you should know
- You do not have to be a manager to be successful.Many people assume that the only path to more money and stature is managing a team.
- Remember that once you become a manager, you’ll stop doing the thing that made you successful in thefirst place.You’ll no longer be doing the things you do really well—instead you’ll be digging into how others do them, helping them improve.
- Becoming a manager is a discipline.Management is a learned skill, not a talent. You’re not born with it.
- Being exacting and expecting great work is not micromanagement.Your job is to make sure the team produces high-quality work.
- Honestyis more important than style.You can be successful with any style as long as you never shy away from respectfully telling the team the uncomfortable, hard truth that needs to be said.
- Don’t worry that your team will outshine you.In fact, it’s your goal.