Check out Blogsome. It marries the wordpress themes with customizable css/files. I must say that customizing Blogsome is quite an easy task compared to Blogger. Here are a few advantages of Blogsome over Blogger:
- Choice of WordPress theme – Blogsome uses the same codebase as WP (the no. 1 Blogging platform)
- Self-Registration (Yeah, your readers can self-register and start Blogging with you (i.e. if you want to)
- Ability to create pages – so for e.g. you can create yourname.blogsome.com/about, /contact etc – and this is one of the neat features that can prompt anyone to move to Blogsome.
- Categories are very well handled. Going forward, one of the major issue that I see in Blogger is that in order to use the beta blogger (which supports categories/labels), I need to switch to beta blogger and screw up my present template.
- Subscribe to category specific feeds – so if your visitors are interested in posts pertaining to specific categories, they can register for only those feeds and not the entire blog posts.
- Last but not the least- its still not hugely popular, so chances are that you might get a blog address of your choice.
If you are new to blogging and have still not decided on the platform, I strongly suggest you to check out Blogsome.
Related: Hack Blogger Template