Railway minister Mallikarjun Kharge has launched SMS based train ticketing on Friday. Ticketing will work from today, the government has said.
Ticket booking for people without Internet access was introduced on a pilot basis earlier. The service will be useful for laborers and workers away from home, the Minister said.
The plans for new ticketing system was announced during the railway budget of 2013.
The online booking through IRCTC has now grown up to about 45% of total reserved tickets. This has eased the rush at counters to a great extent. While internet access in India is only about 10%, mobiles are now in easy reach and more than 80% people in our country use mobile phones.
This could overtake internet booking, a senior railway official said.
How to book railway ticket with mobile
USSD (Unstructured Supplementary Service Data) based booking for Airtel subscribers*
- Register for Airtel money by dialing *400#.
- Load cash on this or recharge from any Airtel money outlet.
- Dial *400# and select book tickets option.
- Select Reservation.
- Enter your IRCTC User ID.
- Enter the details of ticket (station, train no. date of journey, class)
- Enter mPIN for authorizing payment.
- Booking confirmation SMS is sent by IRCTC and same can be used during journey along with valid ID proof.
- Fare & IRCTC service charges are debited from your Airtel money account
- Helpline No: 121
- Helpline Email : email@example.com
Book your ticket through SMS
1. SMS based booking through 139*
- Register your mobile number with IRCTC as well as with your bank.
- Bank provides MMID (Mobile Money Identifier) & OTP (one time password) for authorization of payment. (More than 25 banks are providing this facility. For details, visit website: http://www.npci.org.in/bankmember.aspx.)
- Booking Flow
- Send SMS, in the following syntax, to 139
- BOOK <M/F>
- You will receive Transaction ID alongwith other details.
- Make payment through sending an SMS, in the following syntax, to 139
- PAY <OTP, your one time password received for this transaction> and your ticket is booked
- Service is available to all mobile subscribers
- SMSes @ Rs 3/- per SMS (2 SMSes are required for each booking).
- PG charges Rs 5/- for ticket amount Rs 5000/- (as applicable by bank).
- Agent / IRCTC Service Charges: As applicable
- Helpline No.: 139
- Helpline Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
2. SMS based booking through 5676714*
- Register your mobile number with IRCTC as well as with m-wallet (http://www.zipcash.in/user/nlogin.aspx)
- Send SMS, to 5676717, in the following syntax START for user authentication (first time only)
- Send an SMS to 5676714 to book a ticket in the following syntax
- BOOK<From stn.code>,<to stn.code>, <DDMMYY>, <Trainno>,<Clss>,<passenger name>,<age>,<M/F>
- You will receive the Transaction number.
- Send the 2nd SMS, for payment, in the following syntax.
- 1. “PAY <transaction no>, MPAY, <m-PIN>” for authorizing payment through MPAY or 2. “PAY <mobileno>,<mmid>,<amount>, <transaction Id>,<OTP>” for authorizing payment through IMPS.
- After payment is made booking confirmation is sent to your mobile.
- Charges: No PG Charges. Agent / IRCTC Service Charges: As applicable. SMSes @ Rs 3/- per SMS (2 SMSes are required for each booking).
3. SMS based booking through BSNL*
User should have the following
- BSNL SIM card installed.
- Java enabled mobile phone.
- Andhra Bank Prepaid card.
This is a menu driven application where user has to enter the details asked for in simple step-by-step process to get the ticket.
- Install the application
- Select the Register option to get the mPIN.
- Click the icon BSNL Prepaid Card
- Select Ticketing > Train (IRCTC)
- Fill up the journey details such as From stn, To Stn, Train No, DOJ, Class, Quota, passenger details.
- Enter the mPIN to get the ticket information.
- Charges: No PG Charges. Agent / IRCTC Service Charges: As applicable. SMSes without charges.