16.30 M Connections Added in May 2010
Indian telecom operators have added 16.3 million connections in the month of May.
- Total Telephone subscriber base reaches 653.92 Million (Wireless subscription reaches 617.53 Million, Wireline subscription declines to 36.39)
- 16.30 Million new additions in wireless
- Overall Tele-density reaches 55.38
- Broadband subscription is 9.24 million
Wireless subscriber base increased from 601.22 Million in April-2010 to 617.53 Million at the end of May-2010 registering a growth of 2.71%.
Wireline subscriber base declined from 36.83 Million in April-2010 to 36.39 Million at the end of May-2010. BSNL/MTNL, two PSU operators hold 84.32% of the Wireline market share. Overall Wireline teledensity is 3.08. [pdf].
Here is market share of telcos (as of May/in wireless segment).
RCom Acquires DigiCable
RCom has acquired Digicable, one of the largest cable TV service providers in the country.
The deal is all-cash and the combined entity, (Reliance DigiCom) will have a combined subscriber base of 11 million homes.
DoT Mulling to Ban Chinese Telecom Equipments
The government has drawn up a comprehensive list (26 companies including Lenovo, Huawei Technologies, ZTE, Sunsea Telecoms, UT Starcom, Tongyu Communications, Wuhan Fibrehome International, Shenzhen Grentech, Maipu Communications) of Chinese and Israeli telecom gear makers who will be temporarily barred from supplying equipment to mobile service companies in India till the new network security norms are in place. – source
– Intex Dual Sim Phone IN 6633 Launched–Priced at 4,500