Eram Scientific, a technology R&D company has launched India’s first eToilet, Delight.
The electronic toilet is optimized for energy consumption, efficient water conservation, eco-friendly waste management and water recycling systems.
Delight, the automatic public Toilet Unit developed by ESS is intended to improve the sanitation facilities in urban geographies especially in developing nations. The unit has a unique structure that facilitates the display of advertisement boards on its outer surface. This can act as a source for additional income. This can also be a source of income for the people who are given charge of operating a unit.
Some of the notable features of Delight eToilet are:
- Reporting cleanliness status of the toilet unit to the control room with a single key press.
- Touch free washing & remote cleaning of the unit (automatic washing machines).
- Automatic Payment collection : Coin validator is acceptable of accepting coins which can be programmed in the unit.
- Automatic doors: Coin insertion acts as a triggers to open the unit’s door.
- Intelligent water conservation techniques: For usage less than 3 minutes, the system will flush only 1.5 liters of water (assuming it’s a urinal usage) and for more than 3 minutes, 4 liters (at max).
- One can also connect solar panels.
- GPRS enabled controls, i.e. one can control the system from remote location which includes remote opening/closing, daily collection monitoring etc. [more details here]
Watch this introduction video
Today, the company has won Sankalp forum’s $40,000 contest award. Sankalp Forum in an initiative by Intellecap, an advisory firm that works in underserved markets.
The sector winners at Sankalp Forum 2012 are Health, Water and Sanitation – Eram Scientific; Technology for Development – Invention Labs/Avaz; Education – Edusports; Agriculture – Kisan Raja/ Vinifet Technology; Clean Energy – GIBSS and South East Asia – Hapinoy. Sukrut Systems and Vindhya E-Infomedia were announced the DFID Samridhi-Sankalp Recognition for Women Empowerment Enterprise winners [source]