Docs.com is a Microsoft Office collaboration tool that allows sharing and collaborating on MS Office applications with your Facebook friends. Built as a general Facebook App, the tool allows you to share your Word, Powerpoint, Excel docs just like one would share a pic or video with friends on Facebook. Docs.com basically is a Microsoft Office Web Apps customized for Facebook. The Web app is created on the MS Office 2010 platform.How to use Docs.com to share Microsoft Office docs with Facebook friends?
1. Create a document online on docs.com or on your desktop version of Office 2010. Save it online on Docs.com
2. When a doc is open, go to viewers >> edit. Choose the users you would like to share the doc with. They would be intimidated like any other FB update.
3. You can go to editors >> edit to invite collaborators on the doc.
4. Leave a comment or ‘Like’ as you do with any other update from your friends.
5. To set up a Docs tab on your Facebook home page, go to your profile page, click on the + symbol at the end of your Tabs header, type “Docs” and then select “Docs.”
Unlike Google Docs and Zoho, Docs.com may not find the real office going users. Facebook being a non-work network we could expect a lot of teenagers sharing their homework online. But will that really be the case? The tool is in closed invite now and the sign up for waiting list is buggy so we will have to wait to see how smooth the flow is.
Will this be a redefining moment in online collaboration? We dont think so but MS has definitely put its $240 million investment to some use.
[Naman is a startup enthusiast and has worked with couple of Indian startups as Product Manager. He is the founder of FindYogi]