TAM conducted a study to understand the usage behavior of DTH vs CAS subscribers and here are a few interesting insights:
- Analogue cable households spend 150 minutes per day, digital TV households watch television for at least 186 minutes per day.
- Digital cable TV homes devote that time to watch 43 channels as compared to 30 channels on analogue cable
- The number of paid DTH homes currently are estimated to about 6.5 million and number of cable set-top box homes is estimated to be 1.3 million
- Maharashtra, Madhya Pradesh and Rajasthan are the top three states that house the largest number of DTH homes. [source]
DTH adoption is largely being driven by picture quality/number of channels and the easy one-time payment option also makes it easy for consumers to switch.
Few DTH stats
- 6.5 million customer base
- Players – Tata Sky, Reliance BigTV, DishTV, Prasar Bharati’s DD direct and Sun TV DTH (new entrants like Videocon Industries Ltd. and Bharti Airtel Ltd., which are planning DTH services.)
- TRAI has recommended to increase the FDI cap in DTHto 74%.
Recommended Read: Top 20 Indian Cities that accounts for 1/3rd of Disposable Income.