The rush to join startups has multiple reasons and being given twice the salary, well who wont? According to a report, developers employed in e-commerce firms enjoy twice the salary and monetary benefits in comparison to their counterparts in the IT Services & Software companies across the nation, .
The India Mobile Talent 2016 Report says that the Indian market is dominated by Android mobile developers who comprise over 70% of the total pool.
The study found that Bengaluru continues to be India’s most popular destination, hosting 25% the total talent pool, followed by Delhi NCR (17%) and Hyderabad (10%), positioning South India as a leading hub for mobile talent.
“Mobile developers are active participants in specialized communities like GitHub and Stack Overflow where they learn from peers, collaborate on projects, and demonstrate skills. Additionally, over 30% of India’s mobile talent pool can be discovered on Klout and 47% of them maintain at least 3 Social Profiles, giving companies a really strong reason to actively tap into these communities,” Vijay Sharma, Co-founder & CEO of Belong.
Highlights from the India Mobile Talent Landscape Report 2016:
- Majority of mobile developers bring 2-5 years of work experience
- Demand trumps supply with the median tenure in a company for mobile developers across all experience levels being just 1.5 Years
- Bengaluru emerges as the best place to hire leadership talent. 71% of talent in Delhi has under 5 years of experience while 40% of the talent in Bengaluru has over 5 years of experience
- Contrary to popular presumptions, regional universities trump top tier national universities, with a majority of the mobile talent hailing from universities such as Visvesvaraya Technological University, Anna University, University of Pune, and not the IITs
- Github, Stackoverflow emerge as top niche networks to find mobile developers
- Samsung, Amazon and Accenture feature among top employers of mobile talent in India
- While IT Services companies are the dominant employers in the mobile talent space, 53% of the talent they lose joins companies in Computer Software and Computer Hardware. 37% is picked up by companies in the Internet, Saas and E-commerce segments.
- Together, tech hubs Bangalore and NCR contribute the lion’s share of the country’s mobile developer talent. While Bangalore holds the definitive lead for both Android and iOS talent, at 28% and 20% respectively, NCR follows close at nearly 18% for both categories
- Ahmedabad, Kolkata, Indore, Cochin and Chandigarh contribute to 10% of India’s mobile talent workforce. Ahmedabad tops the list of emerging cities, with 4.5% of the total mobile developer workforce, with much of its inflow and outflow happening between the nearby cities of Pune and Mumbai
- Given the large concentration of well-funded e-commerce and Internet companies in Bangalore and NCR, companies like Flipkart, Amazon, Snapdeal and Zomato have emerged as top employers of mobile talent in these cities.