Education in India is quickly making the digital transition, with more students accessing study material and utilizing online courseware and services.
Mobile apps have become a key way for developers/educators to push content to students. With the burgeoning smartphone industry in the country, students from smaller towns too are educating themselves online.
Online learning platform Meritnation has put together a report highlighting the growth of online education in India by analysing its database of over 92 lakh students.
Key Insights (Over The Past One Year)
- Use of education apps by students has grown by over 217%
- The average time spent by students on mobile devices has grown by over 91%
- Education app usage by students in Tier II cities grew by over 73%
- Mobile app usage by students in Tier I and metro cities grew by over 99%
- Students from classes 1 to 5 spent 32% more time studying online
- Students from classes 6 to 8 spent 15% more time studying online
From the above statistics, it’s clear that younger kids are taking to online studying much faster.
- Over 32% more CBSE students are now studying online
- Over 43% more ICSE students are now studying online
Students utilizing online courses and education service which was once considered a niche segment is now becoming mainstream.
As smartphones become cheaper and more capable and parents become more open to the idea of introducing their children to the concept of online learning, the education sector in India is fast moving from offline to online.