Exceptional relationships can be developed. They have six hallmarks:
- You can be more fully yourself, and so can the other person.
- Both of you are willing to be vulnerable.
- You trust that self-disclosures will not be used against you.
- You can be honest with each other.
- You deal with conflict productively.
- Both of you are committed to each other’s growth and development.
In these relationships, you feel seen, known, and appreciated for who you really are, not an edited version of yourself.