Former CEO of Reliance Trends, Arun Sirdeshmukh, and Darpan Munjal (ex-CTO, Indiatimes) have launched Fashionara.com, an online fashion mall that offers merchandise from premium and luxury fashion brands across apparel, footwear and accessories. The company offers features like social shopping (+ other social integrations like product reviews, creating wish lists, sharing products/purchases with social network etc) and a rich visual experience across the site.
Bangalore based Fashionara is funded Helion Venture Partners and Lightspeed Venture Partners.
Some of the features that need mention are:
- ‘Video catalogue’ mimics a fitting room, where videos of the garment worn by a fashion model display ‘close-ups’, ‘side-views’ and ‘walking views’ to showcase the drape and fall of high fashion garments.
- Fashionara’s ‘look book’ feature enables the customer to view a complete ensemble or ‘look’ consisting of several pieces of apparel, footwear and accessories. Customers can choose to purchase individual products or purchase the entire ‘look’.
- Single page check-out as against the customary 3-page checkout process.
- ‘Express Shipping’ – i.e. guaranteed next day deliveries across 6 cities (currently) in India.
- Free return policy within 30 days of the product purchase.
“India currently lacks true-to-fashion, full price, online retailers that provide the fashion experience customers have come to expect in good offline fashion malls. We hope to bridge that gap with kind of fashion content, innovations and customer centric features built on Fashionara.com.” [ArunSirdeshmukh, Co-founder and CEO of Fashionara]
Given that fashion industry has witnessed the higher number of cancelled CODs, it’d be interesting to see how Fashionara fares in this market (aside, Flipkart is foraying into apparel business).