School management software systems in India are archaic (just the way our education system is) and most of these software are developed by fly-by-night operators who really do a crappy job of building such a software (and charge a bomb to schools).
At the core, schools need to really adapt latest software which can help them improve productivity (many big schools in Bangalore still store student data in Microsoft excel).
Fedena is set to change the scene with its open source school management software, developed on RoR framework. Developed by Bangalore based Foradian Technologies, Fedena can be used as:
- Student Information System (SIS)
- School Management software
- School ERP
- Campus Management software
- Student records system
- Student management system
- School software
- E-learning system
Benefits to schools:
- Available in chosen language.[Ex: Kannada, Tamil, Spansh]
- Easy tracking of students and Employees
- Easy way for TC generation and Transfer of Batch
- Time table generation and Examination creation
- Analyzing student’s performance and attendance
- Various student and staff reports [based on different category, religion, blood group, caste, DOB and many other filters]
- Easy Attendance Marking and Attendance reports
- All the historical records of a student available easily
- Helps in sending data to UID project
- As the entire data is online and secure, any analysis can be done at any desired point of time.
As far as business model is concerned, Fedena follows the open source model of giving the software for free and charging for installations/training and support/maintenance (also dual licensing/hosting services).
The Bangalore based startup has grabbed clients like – Aditya Group of Institutions, Hope College (Australia) and importantly, contract from Kerala government (to automate 13,000 schools with more than 70 lakh students and 1.5 lakh teachers).
Overall, an interesting project that competes with bigger players like Blackboard and Moodles(s) of the world.
What’s your take on Fedena? Do we have other open source projects from India of similar impact?
– Download link