As expected, #flipkart has launched its marketplace model and has on-boarded 50 sellers that are selling in books, media, and consumer electronics categories. Clothes, shoes and other categories will follow soon.
In the marketplace model, third party sellers can list their products on Flipkart’s website and sell directly to the consumer. The model has been gaining popularity in India as small offline retailers look to tap into a growing number of Internet users in India. The model also reduces the risk of keeping inventory for e-commerce companies.
Flipkart Marketplace: Key points
- A large part of the user experience (product selection, customer service and logistics) is seamless with an expanded selection of products.
- Users will continue to enjoy COD/EMI options and return/replacement policies.
- Flipkart will take care of shipping and doorstep delivery through its logistics partners.
- Flipkart will establish a protection programme to resolve any complaints.
Recent updates from ecommerce space:
- Exclusive: Snapdeal raises $50 million from eBay and existing investors
- Promoters of Noida based ecommerce company Timtara arrested
- DTDC Launches Specialised Logistics Services for E-Commerce: This Will Change the Game
*Image credit: Navjot.