Marketplace company, Elance has come up with it’s report on freelancers (Online Talent Report) that has couple of interesting findings
- India tops the Information Technology category (expected), followed by US, Pak, Russia and Ukraine.
- Top 5 Skills are PHP, HTML, MySQL, CSS and WordPress! [.Net is 13th and Facebook is 18th]
- Demand for Mobile development grew 180% in 2009.
- Android is rising fast in the ranking of skills in demand – up 400% in the past 6 months with more than 170 projects posted in January 2010.
- In the Creative Category, India stands at number 2 (after US), followed by UK, Canada and Australia.
- In the Marketing Category, SEO rules the web (no wonder, Google is being gamed), followed by Internet Marketing, Lead Generation, Sales and Advertising.
- SEO and SEM demand grew by 200%
- Top Fastest Growing Countries are Israel, Japan, Thailand, Poland and Uzbekistan. [view the report]
Essentially, open source is on demand and you cannot ignore mobile development, especially Android.
Recently, Paypal f**ked Indian freelancers by suspending personal payments (for few months) and the frustration among them can be gauged from the alternatives that are being discussed in our earlier article, Paypal India Outage – No Payments to or from India.