The company had raised $7 mn from Bharti Soft Bank in April 2013. The company, founded by Kavin Bharti Mittal in December 2012, recently announced that it crossed 15 million registered users.
The company had also launched a newer version of the app which supports languages such as Spanish and French. Hike has to compete with larger rivals like Whatsapp, WeChat and others such as Line and Viber. Whatsapp was recently acquired by Facebook for all of $19 bn and Viber was acquired by Japanese company Rakuten for $900 mn.
Recap of the major milestones at hikeapp:
· 12th December 2012 – hike messenger launched
· 21st April, 2013 – hike crosses 5M users
· 25th April, 2013 – BSB invests $7M in hike
· 20th Feb, 2014 – hike crosses 15M users
· March, 2014 – BSB invests $14M in hikeapp
Bharti Softbank is a joint venture between Indian telecom giant Bharti Airtel and Japan’s Softbank.
Recommended Read: The Indian Mobile App Race