Hike messenger has topped the app store ranks (across free app category) on Android Playstore, iOS Appstore and Windows Store, across India.
The application launched in December 2012, has clocked in over 20 Million users within 18 months of its launch and is now adding over 300K users per day.
hike recently raised $14mn funding from BSB and the spike in numbers also comes close on the heels of its recently launched TVC and 360 degree marketing campaign in India.
Competitor WhatsApp claims to have 48 million users in India [as of April 2014].
Key features from hike
-Offers smartphone to feature phone messaging option.
– Claims to be the first in the industry to offer ‘last seen’ privacy, contact wise; respecting user privacy
– Allows users to share any file format up to a 100MB each
Hike : Growth Chart
– Launched in December 2012.
– Grabbed first 5 million users within 4 months of launch (raised $7mn)
– Hit 15 million userbase in Feb 2014.
– Raised $14mn from BSB in April 2014.
– Crossed 20 million userbase.
Watch this hike ad in which the company takes a shot at
The bigger need for hike is to drive engagement and business (among SMEs), a market which is totally ruled by WhatsApp.