The above chart shows % of reach during the VIVO IPL 2017 Final on TV and Hotstar, respectively.
Clearly, Hotstar viewership mirrored TV during live games (what’s your prediction for 2018?). Here are some more interesting data points from Hotstar:
- Mobile is not about snacky content anymore. 96% of watchtime on Hotstar comes from vides longer than 20 mins.
- Women in smaller cities are coming online faster than those in the big cities
- Users in Kerala, UP and Bihar lead data consumption.
- Samsung is the market leader in each state across India (will this change post Xiaomi’s push?).
- Traffic growth in smaller cities, less than 10 lakh in population, outstripped that in the large metros
- Streamers don’t follow stereotypes. Data reveals that consumption habits cut across stereotypes and traditional boundaries. 26% of Game of Thrones viewers also watched Hindi TV shows; 24% of Modern Family viewers watched cricket; and 50% of watch time of Star Plus’s show Yeh Rishta Kya Kehlata Hai, came from men (or is it just that men are buying Hotstar accounts and women are watching shows? too early to say anything).
- While cricket still rules the roost, other sports are sprouting well. VIVO IPL consumption grew nearly 7 times between 2016 and 2017. However, VIVO Pro Kabbadi and Premier League also grew nearly 10 times.
Take a look at India’s (hotstar) data map.
Get the report from here.