Identify critical knowledge, keeping in mind that knowledge is social and intangible rather than a “thing” that can be captured. These questions can serve as a starting point for discussion:
- Strengths: What gives us a competitive advantage?
- Gaps: What opportunities and vulnerabilities can we see?
- Development: How do we develop new knowledge?
- Innovation: Where do new ideas come from?
- Learning: How well does the organization support learning?
- Problem-solving: How well does the organization solve unexpected problems?
- Retention: How do we embed what we know in order to keep it?
- Transfer: How do we share what we know across the organization?