The Indian travel industry is on the boom and the same is reinforced by Conde Nest Traveler’s recently conducted survey. According to the survey, India is the no.1 travel destination worldwide; leaving behind countries like Italy, Thailand, Australia and New Zealand (link)
India scored above 89 in all the criteria, with its best features being culture, scoring 97.17 out of 100, value for money (94.78) and variety of attractions (96.30).
Key figures related to the Indian travel industry:
- The online sales figures is expected to grow 271.6 % annually.
- Online travel sales in Asia Pacific are estimated to reach $25.6 billion this year (Businessweek)
- In 2006, India attracted 4.43 million foreign tourists; the same year, around 350-400 million domestic tourists are estimated to have traveled around the country.
- Travel portals in India did business of $800 million (of the total $15.5 billion travel market in the country) in 2006. This is expected to increase to $2 billion by 2008.
- The outgoing travel industry is booming too: Euromonitor forecasts that outgoing tourism expenditure from India will grow by over 25.7% between 2006 and 2011 to reach a value of $21 billion by 2011 (Singapore happens to be the most preferred destination) (via ToI)
Related: Complete details of Online Travel agents (OTAs) in Indian travel Industry
tags: indian travel industry, conde nest traveler