The Railways have launched India’s first solar-powered local here with a battery bank facility that ensures sufficient power even in the absence of sunlight.
- The electrical need of the coaches will be produced by solar panels.
- This is one of the most environment friendly DEMU (diesel electric multiple unit) trains – uses bio toilets, water recycling and even harnesses wind energy.
- The first rake of the train will be put in commercial service over the suburban railway system of Delhi division shortly (via).
- The solar powered DEMU train with six trailer coaches will save about 21,000 litres of diesel, thereby saving ?12 lakh every year!
- The solar panels have been developed and fitted by the Indian Railways Organization of Alternative Fuel (IROAF).