Latest telecom data (for wireless segment, i.e. including GSM, CDMA and FWP):
– Total Wireless subscriber base increased from 893.84 Million in December 2011 to 903.73 Million at the end of January 2012, registering a growth of 1.11%. The share of Urban Subscriber has marginally decreased from 65.59% to 65.41% where as share of Rural Subscribers has marginally increased from 34.41% to 34.59%. The overall wireless Tele density in India reaches 74.89.
– Higher growth in Rural Subscription (1.64%) than Urban Subscription (0.83%).
– Private operators hold 88.56% of the wireless market share where as BSNL and MTNL, two PSU operators hold only 11.44% market share.
Broadband Subscribers in India
– Total Broadband subscriber base has increased from 13.30 million at the end of December 2011 to 13.42 million at the end of January 2012, there by showing a monthly growth of 0.90%. Yearly growth in broadband subscribers is 19.74% during the last one year (Jan. 2011 to Jan. 2012).
– As on 31st Jan. 2012, there are 155 Internet Service Providers (ISPs) which are providing broadband services in the country. Top three ISPs in terms of market share are: BSNL with 8.68 million subscribers, Bharti Airtel with 1.36 million and MTNL with 1.03 million subscribers.
– Wireline subscriber base declined from 32.69 Million at the end of December 2011 to 32.39 Million at the end of January 2012.
– BSNL and MTNL, two PSU operators hold 80.91% of the Wireline market share.[Via: TRAI/pdf]