TRAI has released June 2009 data and here are some of the relevant statistics :
- Wireless subscription reaches 427.28 Million (12.03 Million new additions in wireless)
- Total Telephone subscriber base stands at 464.82 Million
- Wireline subscription declines to 37.54 Million
- Overall Tele-density reaches 39.86
- Broadband subscription has reached 6.62 million, increase of 3.4% since May 2009.
The number of telephone subscribers in India increased to 464.82 Million at the end of June-09 from a level of 452.91 Million in May-09, thereby registering a growth rate of 2.63%. With this, the overall Tele-density in India reaches 39.86.
Wireless subscriber base increased from 415.25 Million in May-09 to 427.28 Million at the end of June-09 at a monthly growth rate of 2.9%.
While these numbers sound fancy, it’s a well known fact that telcos do inflate numbers in order to gain additional spectrum (and DoT is now planning to put up a mechanism to monitor the subscriber numbers of telecom operators).