[Editorial notes: The team at MySmartPrice.com did a study of the e-tailing stores in India and has analyzed what they sell. The team classified these stores into different types and categories based on what they sell. A lot of interesting numbers and facts have emerged out some of which are hard to believe.]
So here are the findings:
THE NUMBER GAME
TYPES AND CATEGORIES
WHAT THEY SELL
THE TOP GUNS – ALEXA INDIA RANKS
SOME QUIRKY STORE NAMES
THE REAL DATA
- Brands are moving online with their own stores: Examples: NokiaShop, Puma, Reebook, Samsung, Fastrack, VIP etc
- Fashion is No 1: Top 3 Categories all belong to Fashion, with more than 130 stores (big and small) selling some or the other fashion products. Apart from this 91 stores deal exclusively in Fashion.
- Rise of Online Exclusive labels: Example: Zovi, Shersingh etc.
- Lingerie is Big: Over 39 stores sell Lingerie and Innerwear and some prominent names even using Lingerie as hooks on FB ads!
- Online stores of major offline players: Example: Futurebazaar, Cromaretail, The Mobile Store, Univercell etc
- Media Publishing Houses foray in ecommerce: Example: Homeshop18, BagitToday, Indiatimes Shopping, StarCJ etc
- Ecommerce Platforms gaining traction. Example: BuildaBazaar and Martjack.
- Popular (deal) sites pivoting to e-tailing: Example: Snapdeal, Koovs, SeventyMM, KyaZoonga etc
SOME INTERESTING STORES
Differentiation is the new motto in Indian ecommerce. The way some are doing it is simply picking a Niche. In our research, we ran into about 90 niche stores that sold nothing but one thing. Some deserve a special mention.
- SocialHeart.in: Exclusive handicrafts made by NGOs.
- YellowLeg.com: The Travel Only Book store.
- Bewakoof.com: Cool Tshirts with great ribtickling one liners.
- Bajaao.com: Musical Instruments and Select Albums
- Induna.com: Great collection of Movies, Films and TV serials
- WilliamPenn.net: Pens from popular bands such as Faber Castell, Parker etc.
- OnlinePrasad.com: Pooja items and temple offerings from popular temples.
- GiftBig.com: Gift Vouchers from top retailers.
- BulbTiger.com: Indoor lighting fittings and chandeliers.
We hope the study was useful to you and you’ve come across some truly interesting new facts and figures. The world of ecommerce is ever changing with a constant churn in the number of stores.
[Guest post contributed by MySmartPrice team. Reproduced from the blog.]