In 2018, 319 smartphones were launched in India and here are some key trends:
- About 75% of smartphones launched in India, were under Rs. 20,000
- Samsung continues to launch the most models
- About 61% of phones were launched with screen size of 5.6 inches and above (something that was considered phablet category till last year!)
- 92% of the phones above Rs, 10,000 had tall displays with 18:9 or higher aspect ratio, and minimal bezel
- About half the phones launched had dual rear cameras – something that was a ‘premium phone only’ feature till last year
- ‘Good camera’ was the most important quality factor that consumers looked for!
- And finally, yes, Flipkart was the most popular store for phone purchases. This was in no small measure due to the fact that it had exclusive partnerships for a lot of the popular Xiaomi phones in India.
What do you think?