We have been hearing about the launch of a $35 tablet coming in from the government. News has just come in that the tablets would be retailed at Rs. 2999 from November commercially. The tablet would be available to students at a cheaper price. As expected, the tablet has Android as the OS (Froyo 2.2) and a 366 Mhz processor with a resistive (!) touch screen. The memory 256 MB RAM and internal storage – 2GB are also on the lower side for most users although it is extensible to 32GB.
In terms of connectivity, the tablet supports WiFi and a cellular modem can be added on. The tablet also has a microphone, headphones and USB slots. In terms of software, it allows the commonly known document formats to be viewed and edited. Similarly most commonly used audio, video and image formats are supported as well.
Some specs which have come up –
– Processor: 366 Mhz. Connexant with Graphics accelerator and HD Video processor
– Memory (RAM): 256MB RAM / Storage (Internal): 2GB Flash
– Storage (External): 2GB to 32GB Supported
– Peripherals (USB2.0 ports, number): 1 Standard USB port
– Audio out: 3.5mm jack / Audio in: 3.5mm jack
– Display and Resolution: 7″ display with 800×480 pixel resolution
– Input Devices: Resistive touch screen
– Connectivity and Networking: GPRS and WiFi IEEE 802.11 a/b/g
– Power and Battery: Up to 180 minutes on battery. AC adapter 200-240 volt range.
– OS: Android 2.2
– Document Rendering
* Supported Document formats: DOC, DOCX, PPT, PPTX, XLS, XLSX, ODT, ODP
* PDF viewer, Text editor
– Multimedia and Image Display
* Image viewer supported formats: PNG, JPG, BMP and GIF
* Supported audio formats: MP3, AAC, AC3, WAV, WMA
* Supported video formats: MPEG2, MPEG4, AVI, FLV
We will update this post as soon as more news comes in!
Do you think this is the sort of device you would like to use and carry around? What are some of the basic specs which are missing?