IndiaTimes has launched an upgraded version of their mail product, MeraMail.
The updates include a collection of new features called Ziplets:
- AJAXified interface – with contextual right click menus.
- SSO, i.e. Integration with other Indiatimes properties like flight blooking, shopping etc.
- Sensex graph and news feeds from ToI and ET.
- Option to tag emails (+ color codes)
- Better spam control (let’s see)
The new version has jagged edges and doesn’t render well in Firefox. Feature wise, it’s a catchup with Yahoo, Rediff and Gmail; but nevertheless is a good step towards integrating the rich properties and an attempt to make email as the starting point.
Indiatimes is facing stiff competition from Yahoo, Google and Rediff; and stands seventh in the overall brand popularity.
Of all the companies that are fighting for Indian eyeballs, Indiatimes is smartly placed because of their cross media presence – Times of India in the print, Times Now on the TV, and of course, the huge marketing budget that they have (haven’t you seen their recent TV commercials?).