In this video of a Google Ventures/Greylock Partners event in San Francisco featuring Johanna Wright, Craig Walker, and Adam Nash, the PM skill set is talked about and experienced PMs offer their views.
1. Familiarize yourself with the technical aspects, so you know what is possible or not possible.
2. Vision & Leadership are important to work with engineers.
3. Software is a team sport, so get used to dealing with disagreements.
4. Worry about everything. From small things like FAQs to PR & Marketing.
5. Know your product and the users really, really well.
6. Be tenacious. Your ideas may be rejected, but stick by them and continue motivating the team.
7. Collaboration and partnership with tech team is extremely crucial so develop a good rapport.