Local search stats from Comscore [June – August 2008 data]
- UUs in ‘000
- PVs in mn (*)
- JustDial is ruling, but saw sharp decline in PVs number from July to August (almost half)
- Both Asklaila and Yahoo are head-to-head.
- Burrp’s PV/UU seems to be the highest (they are focused on content, and not really ‘search’ per se – esp. in categories beyond lifestyle)
- Comscore doesn’t shows Google’s local data – hence assumed that 3% of query results in traffic to local.google.co.in
- Ditto with Guruji (as it’s a web search engine) – assumption made: 10% of queries/traffic is of pure local intents (as they are supposedly a search player specific to India).
- Sulekha: Search UUs are assumed to be 10%, and PVs to be 30% [quite high, since they have a strong ‘explore’ feel rather than search).
- Comscore doesn’t have data for other players like yulop, onyomo, metromela etc. – in general, comscore doesn’t record traffic from cybercafes – so take these numbers with a pinch of salt (and pepper)!
Leaving aside the accuracy of numbers, what’s your take on these players?
What makes a local search successful?