Smartphone use in the Asia Pacific region continues to grow at a pace on par with the rest of the world, with page-view volume on mobile websites and apps approaching global averages, according to today’s APAC State of Mobile Advertising report from Opera Mediaworks in partnership with the Mobile Marketing Association.
The findings in the report are based on Q2 2015 data from 400 million unique users on the Opera Mediaworks platform.
India, Indonesia, Vietnam and the Philippines, countries which Opera refers to as the “P4” (Power 4) sub-region, has seen a dramatic 545% increase in smartphone adoption since 2013, making it one of the fastest growing sub-regions in the world.
Android Vs. iOS Battle
The P4 countries represent less than half (43%) of the population of Asia, account for less than 30% of regional internet users — yet over 76% of these users access the internet via mobile. For India, Opera estimates that 77% of internet users can access the web via a mobile device.
There is high demand for and rapid adoption of mobile video-ad units across the region. The ratio of video-ad impressions served in India is 0.68:1, this is higher than the average across Asia.
Demographics and behavior of the average mobile users in India:
- Male users dominate across the region; in India, 9 out of 10 mobile users are male.
- Indian users are overwhelmingly young; the average user age is under 23. Also, 50% are between 18-23 years old.
- The most visited mobile sites and apps by users in P4 region are in the Social Networking category. However, Indian users are more drawn to sites and apps that serve Music, Video, Media & Entertainment content followed by technology content.
- The top three countries in the P4 region in terms of data consumption are Vietnam, Indonesia and India. The average data consumption in these countries respectively is around 90, 65 and 60 MB per month.
Revenue winners and emerging mobile ad formats
- Business, Finance & Investing publishers fared well, accounting for a whopping 42% of revenue paid to mobile publishers across the P4 region.
- In India, Social Networking sites and apps provided the highest number of impressions for advertisers, followed by News & Information and Sports category. However, the highest eCPMs were earned by News & Information publishers.
- The impressions of advertising on Communication Services is much higher than global average by and as much as 15x higher for revenue.