Telecom Subscription Data as on 31st October 2009
Total Telephone subscriber base reaches 525.65 Million
- Wireless subscription reaches 488.40 Million
- Wireline subscription declines to 37.25 Million
- 16.67 Million new additions in wireless
- Wireline subscription declines by 0.05 Million
- Overall Tele-density reaches 44.87
- Broadband subscription is 7.40 million (2.49% growth as compared to last month).
- Overall Teledensity stands at 44.87. [Details (pdf)]
While these numbers look good on paper, DoT has raised inquiries against operators who are inflating the numbers (read: Dent to India’s Telecom Growth Story – Inflated Subscriber Numbers)
Mobile Number Portability in India
Mobile Number Portability, which was earlier scheduled for September, 2009 has now been moved to December 31st (read: Mobile Number Portability in India – Details/Perspective).
MNP allows subscribers to retain their existing mobile telephone number when they move from one Access Provider to another irrespective of the mobile technology or from one cellular mobile technology to another of the same Access Provider, in a licensed service area.
As per TRAI, the Per Port Transaction charge (i.e. the charge payable by the Recipient Operator to the Mobile Number Portability Service Provider for processing the porting request of a mobile number) shall be Rs.19/.
TRAI mandates that operators cannot charge more than Rs. 19/ for the porting, and these charges ‘shall’ come into force by December 31st, 2009.