2011 is a watershed year with a lot of realignments in the industry coming up [example: Nokia’s Windows Mobile love].
Yesterday we came across this very interesting and thought provoking slide deck by VisionMobile which mentioned a few megatrends in the very fluid mobile space. Some of the pointers to the new wave of mobile changes coming up –
- HP releases a few phones with WebOS
- Microsoft and Nokia phone rumors
- Android overtaking anything else in the smartphone segment
- Smartphones growing by 70% and Nokia losing market share by 7% (overall)
- Steve Jobs taking a medical break
The authors of this deck have made a good job of distilling some of the observed trends and identified the 8 major trends below
- The DELL-ification of mobile phones
- Apps are the new web
- Communities: the new currency
- Software: new era for telecoms
- Open + closed
- Stuck in the telecoms age
- Experience ecosystems
- Developers, developers
The analysis is thoughtful and very thought provoking. The content is large enough not to fit into one blog post here – so we will let you go through the deck below.
Do let us know your thoughts – are these an indicator of the times ahead or do you think this exercise is too academic and innovators will continue to disrupt?