As per a report by Trend Micro, India is leading the spam sender list and while India was #2 last quarter, this quarter our ‘work from home’ spammers have taken India to pole position.
From the report:
- India and South Korea occupied the top two spots,
- Vietnam, Indonesia, Pakistan and Taiwan earned 4th, 5th, 7th, and 9th places, respectively.
- The United States, which commonly takes the top spot, was not on the top 10 spam-sending countries list most likely due to the arrest of several spambot operators.
- APAC contributed 40% of total spam.
- Google replaced Microsoft as the number one vendor for reported vulnerabilities, with a total of 82, due to existing vulnerabilities in Chrome as the browser grows in popularity. Oracle came in second, with 63; Microsoft fell to third place, with 58.[source]
Important to note that approximately 88% of e-mail traffic, worldwide, amounts to spam. Out of total spam emails, around 30% are related to financial and fraud/scam emails.