The Union Cabinet today has approved the National Telecom Policy -2012 (NTP – 2012), including introduction of Unified Licence.
Key highlights of NTP 2012 are:
- Increase rural teledensity from the current level of around 39 to 70 by the year 2017 and 100 by the year 2020
- Broadband –“’Broadband For All” at a minimum download speed of 2 Mbps
- Domestic Manufacturing– Making India a global hub
- Convergence of Network, Services and Devices
- Simplification of Licensing regime- Unified Licensing, delinking of Spectrum from License, Online real time submission and processing
- Achieve One Nation – Full Mobile Number Portability and work towards One Nation – Free Roaming
- Resale of Services
- Voice over Internet Protocol
- Cloud Computing, Next Generation Network including IPV6
The policy seeks to provide a predictable and stable policy regime for a period of about ten years.
A brilliant move?