The top 5 most searched categories in 2013 for e-commerce were Apparel, PC & Tablets, Home & Kitchen and Books, according to a new report. Here are some of the findings by Junglee
- Top 5 most searched categories in 2013 were Mobile phones followed by Apparel, PC & Tablets, Home & Kitchen and Books.
- The Top 5 most-searched mobile phone brands in 2013 were Samsung (28.60%), Micromax (18.61%), Sony (9.99%), Nokia (9.91%), Apple (5.14%). Samsung’s popularity grew steadily throughout the year while other brands saw ups and downs. Searches on Micromax peaked in Q1 2013 when the new Canvas was launched but fell only to show new growth with the Canvas Turbo launch promoted by Hugh Jackman. Nokia lost ground from Q4 2012 to Q2 2013 but recovered strongly with the new Lumia releases (Lumia 520, 720, 625 etc).
- The Top 5 most searched PC & Tablets brands were Lenovo (12.55%), Samsung (12.17%), Micromax (10.13%), ASUS (8.86%), HP (5.91%).
- The Top 5 cities that searched online the most in 2013: Delhi, Mumbai, Bangalore, Hyderabad, Chennai. Traffic from tier-2 cities and mini towns such as Pune, Gurgaon, Noida and Chandigarh also increased by over 120% Year-on-Year.
- Delhiites searched the most for Home Appliances in 2013. Consumers in Kolkata searched the most for Entertainment products (Books, Music, Movies, Video Games), accounting for 62% of searches in this category. However, video games were most searched by consumers in Hyderabad.
- In Chennai and Bangalore consumers searched the most for Mobile phone and Apparel accounting for more than 60% of the overall searches.
- Consumers in Mumbai fancy their shoes; they accounted for 15% of searches in this category.
Most searched Books
The Oath of the Vayuputras by Amish Tripathi, Inferno by Dan Brown, The Immortals of Meluhaby Amish Tripathi.
Most searched Bollywood Movies
Student of the Year, Barfi!, Aashiqui 2
Most searched Authors
Amish Tripathi, Dan Brown and Chetan Bhagat
The most searched Beauty Products in 2013 were Lakme (16.91%), Loreal (7.07%), Maybelline (5.35%), VLCC (3.64% ), Nirus (3.05%).
The most searched Home Appliances brands were of Samsung (20.36%), LG (13.12%), Videocon (12.43%), Whirlpool (10.07%), IFB (8.49%).
In the Kitchen Appliances segment, the popular brands that consumers searched for were Philips (13.32%), Kent (10.66%), Eureka Forbes (10.35%), Black & Decker (9.15%), Michley (7.34%).
The most searched Shoes brands were Puma (15.47%), Nivia (11.13%), Nike (10.36%), Adidas (7.10%), Reebok (5.88%).
Amongst Toys & Games the most searched brands on Junglee were Maisto (9.01%), Funskool (7.66%), Mattel (6.63%), Ben10 (6.23%), Fisher-Price (4.15%).
Trending on Junglee: Sachin Tendulkar’s retirement announcement witnessed 11X growth in searches on him in the run up to his final test match and triggered 15X search on books related to him.
Bollywood was a major influence in Apparel category in 2013. Consumers searched for Deepika Padukone and Priyanka Chopra branded merchandise more than merchandise related to Kareena Kapoor, Katrina Kaif and Anushka Sharma.
Consumers in India also searched for global products.
- As compared to 2012, consumer preferences in Mobiles and Tablets category gravitated towards the higher priced models this year. In tablets as well, a similar trend was witnessed with 77% of tablet demand falling in the +10k segment in 2013 from about 33% in 2012.
Most Searched Brands 2012 vs. 2013: Consumer Electronics remain the most-searched products. Samsung has retained its position as the number one brand followed by Micromax at number two. Nokia, through its launch of popular mobiles in the Lumia series, has gained back some lost ground and is ranked number 4 now while Apple (ranked at number 5) has lost 2 positions in the charts in 2013, being displaced by Sony, which is ranked at number 3.
Junglee has over 10 million monthly visits.