The online travel market, as we all know is overcrowded. Here is a quick recap of the existing players, what they do and their funding status:
|OTA (online travel|
|FlightRaja (now called Via)||$5 million||NEA Indo US ventures (owned by Vinod Dham)||Domestic + International flight ticketing, bus ticketing, hotel reservations.|
|MakeMyTrip||$10 million||SAIF Capital Partners||Domestic flight ticketing, hotel bookings – bundled/packaged service.|
|Yatra||$5 million||Reliance Capital, Norwest VC, TV18||Domestic flight ticketing, hotel bookings – bundled/packaged service.|
|TravelGuru||$10 million||Sequoia Capital India (Sequoia Capital and WestBridge Capital Partners)||Domestic ticketing, hotels, cruises, holiday packages, corporate travel|
|Cleartrip||$3 million||KPCB, Sherpalo||Domestic booking, hotels, place information|
|Arzoo||Sabeer Bhatiya’s factory!||Domestic + International flight ticketing, Holiday package, car rentals|
|Rediff Faresearch||Rediff||meta search engine.|
|Yahoo Farechase||Y!||meta search engine – though not too sure why Y! is not promoting this in India.|
|Zoomtra||*||meta search engine.|
|Ghumo||*||meta search engine (for flight/train and hotel bookings)|
|iXiGo||self funded||meta search engine, read our review here.|
|ezeego1||Cox & Kings||probably the most relevant meta search engine.|
|Travelocity India||N/A||Sabre Holdings||Initial focus on hotel bookings.|
|Travel Chacha||*||Domestic + International booking, car rentals, hotel bookings, Packaged deals|
|TripMela||*||Focuses only on travel related deals|
|Meratrip||*||Main focus is on travel related deals|
|Airdeccan.net||AirDeccan||has a tie-up with TravelGuru for hotel bookings.|
|Indiatimes||Indiatimes||Travel booking for partner sites|
‘*’ = lack of information on investors (if you have any info, please let me know).
Few interesting info (via livemint)
- Travel portals in India did business of $800 million (of the total $15.5 billion travel market in the country) in 2006. This is expected to increase to $2 billion by 2008.
- In 2006, India attracted 4.43 million foreign tourists; the same year, around 350-400 million domestic tourists are estimated to have traveled around the country
- Air passengers in the country increased from 22.788 million in 2005 to 32.172 million in 2006.
- Flightraja is already profitable and does business of Rs1 crore a day.
- On an average, commission from air tickets which account for the bulk of the business are the lowest and range from between 2% and 9%.
- For hotel bookings, the commission is much higher and varies between 8% and 25%
Who said Internet will kill the intermediaries? They are flourishing and are going strong!