Report: iOS continues to deliver highest returns to publishers, Android slips

iOS delivered the highest effective cost per thousand (eCPM)– a measure of monitisation perfomance– followed by Research In Motion’s Blackberry Operating system and Android, says the third quarter State of Mobile Advertising report by Opera.

Apple’s operating system continued to lead as the best platform to monetize mobile advertisements, according to a new report.  iOS delivered the highest effective cost per thousand (eCPM)– a measure of monitisation perfomance– followed by Research In Motion’s Blackberry Operating system and Android, says the third quarter State of Mobile Advertising report by Opera.

Among all of the publisher categories, business, finance and investing generates more revenue per impression than any other publisher category. However, during Q3, Sports category grew faster closely followed by music, video and media. While sports was the leading category for mobile ad revenue, mobile site and apps in the music, video and media category both capturing 30% of overall revenue, making them the highest earners.

Across the Opera platform, North America (United States & Canada) continues to generate the vast majority of ad requests (70%).  Indonesia and India lead the mobile ad impression volume from Asia. At present India holds 5th position in terms of mobile ads impression volume worldwide.

Earlier, a report released by Flurry  titled Mobile Apps: Money, Models and Loyalty revealed that weather tops the retention rate amongst the 30 apps categories, 73% in a month, 55% over a period of 3 months, followed by reference, sports (especially scores), news and travel with overall retention rate of 54, 51, 50 and 45% respectively. The Flurry report pointed out that  Sports score, navigation and weather are apps that used infrequently but deliver very high value .

Apps alone generated 73% of revenue within the Opera ad platform. The remaining 27% comes from the mobile web. Traffic measurement showed 8 in 10 visits on the Opera ad platform came from mobile apps, compared to 2 in 10 via the mobile web.

While the rest of the world, particularly the United States, seems to be moving away from RIM’s BlackBerry device, UK adoption is still strong. Traffic from BlackBerry devices in UK is 53.9 % nearly 4 times that of the US (13%) levels.

During Q3, Opera report  reveals that most successful creative campaigns were those which emphasized fun and simplicity. Fun and simplicity catalyzed the most user interaction and brand stickiness, while innovative, new ad units delivered click-through rates of 5% and higher.

Leave a Reply

Sign Up for #BigDaily Newsletter

Daily.