Is Paytm a recharge company or an ecommerce player? Well, they seem to be the first big m-commerce company. Take a look at some of the data :
1. Paytm crossed 1 crores order in July 2014 (ZERO CoD).
2. In July, Paytm crossed 1mn$ GMV a day. 20K marketplace orders were placed in 1 day.
3. 55% orders are mobile.
This is where Paytm’s payment play comes into picture. The company wants to double down on its marketplace model (Read : Almost 30% of Our Users Use Bargain Feature : Paytm)
4. 70% orders are non-electronics.
5. Cracked 1 million app downloads in 1 month alone.
6. The NextBigWhat for Paytm? Apart from doubling down on marketplace, fixing the logistics. There are 36,000 pin codes in India and in order to solve the logistics issues, Paytm needs to build a massive infrastructure.
7. And importantly, the company will raise $100mn in the next 3 months. Vijay tells me that they aren’t yet in conversation with any funds (as opposed to what is reported by few media).
The focus also is on bringing more exclusives – for instance, Xiaomi Mi Power Bank 5200Mah was being sold exclusively on Paytm.
For others like Flipkart, mobile still is the second screen. The future, as we all know belongs to smartphones – will Paytm’s mobile payment platform give it a huge leverage over others?