While there is a general tendency to equate rural India to BoP market, here are some of the consumption numbers that will blow your mind
- 46% of the soft drinks sales happen in the rural areas.
- Rural India accounts for 49% of motorcycle sales.
- Rural India accounts for 59% of Cigarettes sales.
- 53% of FMCG sales happen at Rural India.
- Talcum powder is used by more than 25% of rural India.
- Lipsticks are used by more than 11% of the rural women and less than 22% of the urban women.
- Close to 10% of Maruti Suzuki’s sales come from the rural market.
- Hero Honda, on its part, had 50% of its sales coming from rural market in FY’09.
- Rural India has a large consuming class with 41% of India’s middle-class and 58% of the total disposable income accounting for consumption.
- By 2010 rural India will consume 60% of the goods produced in the country.
- In 20 years, rural Indian Market will be larger than the total consumer markets in countries such as South Korea or Canada today, & almost 4 times the size of today’s urban Indian market.
Can you dare to ignore this market?