Key statistics for Rural India-
- Rural India constitutes 69% of India’s population.
- 86% of Rural population earns less than $2 per day (most of Indian BoP households earn $67 per month).
- There are more phones than Radio in Rural India (100million subscriber base).
- Only 0.29 per cent of the male population has reached the graduation level (0.04% for women) and 6.% of the rural males arc educated up to the middle level.
- 70 % of the disabled in India lives in rural areas
- Safe Drinking Water – 67% of rural households in Jharkhand did not have access to safe drinking water;
- More than 90 percent of rural households in Chhattisgarh, Jharkhand, Orissa and Madhya Pradesh did not have access to toilets within their premises
- Connectivity – In 2006: 13% in rural India had to travel > 30minutes; 2008: just 2%!
- When it comes to connectivity, Rural Indian BOP segment has grown more than urban in last year
- Nearly 50% of the villages in the country do not have all weather roads, making physical communication to these villages highly expensive.
Do you see opportunities here?
Next- Overview of opportunities in Rural India.[Sources: 1, 2, 3]