[Editor’s Note: This is the first part of a series on Indian Ecommerce Industry. NextBigWhat team, in partnership FindYogi – A Buying Decision Platform, will be digging real data on the Indian Ecommerce players to draw insights about the industry.]
EBay is one of the biggest ecommerce players in the world and also one of the first to establish in India. Unlike FlipKart and other ecommerce players, Ebay has been a marketplace from day 1. The marketplace model has evolved with Ebay, though it is seeing a sea of change in consumer experience with FlipKart and Amazon optimizing the last mile delivery as well.
In this report, we are looking at how big Ebay really is. Following data is sourced from four categories of FindYogi viz. Mobiles, Laptops, Tablets and Cameras. Only new products that are under manufacturer warranty and available as on 4th Week of April 2014 are covered in this report.
- Ebay currently has 1,530 SKUs under Mobile, Tablets, Laptops and Cameras. Different colors of the same product are considered as single SKU.
- There are currently 6,376 offers under for these 1,530 SKUs.
- The above offers are from 434 sellers. The same sellers may be selling in other categories also.
Catalogue size of current sellers.
One of the biggest advantage of a marketplace over traditional retail is the variety of products that are offered. We have seen above the total number of SKUs for the 4 categories being analyzed. Here’s a look at the catalogue size of individual sellers.
- About 30% of the sellers are offering only 1 SKU in these 4 categories. These are sellers who primarily sell products of other categories, accessories of otherwise, and are experimenting with these popular categories. There are a lot people who use Ebay as a classifieds platform to sell unwanted gifts etc., best attempt has been made to keep those offers out of this report as they may not be from authorized sellers of the brands.
- A good chunk of sellers, about 20%, are offering 6-15 SKUs. These are serious sellers covering a brand or a particular series of a brand category.
- There are 9 sellers who fall in the second highest range of 121-240 SKUs and there is 1 seller offering more than 240 SKUs.
- Looking at the catalogue size it would be safe to assume that there are about 30 big sellers who are present across brands for these analyzed categories.
Analyzing the age and popularity of Ebay sellers:
To determine how old and popular the sellers on Ebay are, we analyzed the number of buyer ratings each seller has received till date. The buyer rating is major decision factor for marketplace consumers. Ebay and its sellers have been putting a lot of efforts to encourage buyers to rate and review the service.
- About 30% of sellers on Ebay have received 101-1000 rating till date.
- 73 sellers have received less than 10 ratings which reflects a really low activity.
- About 8% of the sellers are yet to receive their first rating.
- There are 10 sellers who have received more than 10,000 rating. These are mostly old power sellers who felicitate most of the transactions on the platform.
- Lower ranges in the graph reflect either new sellers’ who are still getting started or old ones that haven’t managed to sell well.
Next – We will take a deeper look and analyze each of these categories on Ebay. If you are looking for a specific report please tweet your request to @NextBigWhat. All reports are published through data sourced from our partners FindYogi.com.