The smartphone market in India has maintained its growth impetus with smartphone shipments achieving year-on-year growth of 84% in Q2 2014 and a quarter-over-quarter growth of 11%.
– The overall India mobile phone market stood at 63.21 million units in Q2 2014, a 5% increase over Q1 2014, as per the IDC report. The quarter-over-quarter growth can be attributed to both product categories (i.e. smartphones and feature phones).
– Vendors shipped a total of 18.42 million Smartphones in Q2 2014 compared to 10.02 million in the same period of 2013 (according to IDC APAC Quarterly Mobile Phone Tracker (excluding Japan)).
– The potential for future growth in the smartphone market remains quite high as 71% of the market continues to be on feature phones.
The sub-$200 category of the smartphone market is increasing in terms of new shipment share as the contribution from this category stood at 81% in Q2 2014. With the influx of Chinese vendors and Mozilla’s plans to enter the smartphone category at the $50 price level, the low-end segment of the smartphone market will become crucial in the coming quarters.
Smartphone Market Share*
The shipment of “Phablets” (5.5 inch – 6.99 inch screen size Smartphone) in Q2 2014 was noted to be 5.4% of the overall smartphone segment. The phablet category grew by 20% quarter-on-quarter (QoQ) in terms of sheer volume.
More than half of the phablets shipped were in the under-$250 price band and Indian vendors are dominant in the noted price segment.
Top 5 Smartphone Vendors In India
- Samsung: With 29% market share in Q2 2014 Samsung is the outright market leader. High volume support came in from the sub $150 products such as Galaxy Star pro and Galaxy S Duos.
- Micromax: Micromax with 18% of the market share stood at the second spot and has been growing quarter on quarter.
- Karbonn: Karbonn has maintained its third position. However the gap between Micromax and Karbonn has widened significantly.
- Lava: This brand is within the striking distance from Karbonn and it will not be a surprise if Lava topples Karbonn to clinch the third spot in the smartphone category in the coming quarters.
- Motorola: Motorola has maintained its success story in the smartphone market in India. Despite being available only through online channel, Motorola has crossed 1 million mark within 5 months of its launch.
*Different market research agencies have come up with different numbers (read : Samsung Beats Nokia; Smartphones Sale Grows 219% Over Last Year!), hence we recommend you to take these data points as a trend spotting data and not a factual one.