[Editorial Notes : Guest article by Jerold Chagas Pereira, CEO at Universal Digital Connect Ltd. – Videocon Mobile Phones, Handset Division]
Today, India has the third largest internet user base in the world out of which more than 50 per cent are mobile-only internet users. As the smartphone revolution is rapidly grabbing the mass consumers, the mobile phone industry is looking forward to the year 2016 to set new records. The upcoming internet explosion will predominantly be catered by smartphone to give a boost to the mobile apps and value-added services backed by 4G/LTE network technology.
Smartphone consumers are going to set new trends for the industry with the rise in awareness, digital dependency and deeper penetration of internet based services. Today, the consumers are adopting smart devices at an astonishing pace and opening up more and more opportunities to engage in new ways , thus changing the way we interact, entertain, educate and shop.
Below mentioned are the new trends that will keep the buzz alive in smartphone category in 2016:
- Appearance- Smartphones are getting larger and slimmer and the market is gearing up for more trendy and youth-centric designs. Quality material, intricate finish, glossy look and improved edge protection technologies will also greatly change the cell phone’s appearance in 2016. With the popularization of wearable devices, the motion capture and even telepathic control buttons will also be adorning the smartphones.
- Speed:With several technological innovations happening in mobile sector, the new smart devices will come with higher RAM, peed, faster processors and high-resolution cameras. RAM has gone as high as 4GB in some devices while most flagship devices have 3GB RAM today. As a result, we see lightning quick smartphones creating benchmarks for the fastest device being toppled by the upcoming versions.
- Experience:With reference to high-end smart phones, some emerging trends like 4K resolution screens, fingerprint scanners will push the envelope further in smartphone category. Backed by the 4G/LTE services, the video entertainment will take a big leap with high-resolution mobile screens. Rear lens with optical image stabilization will become popular, and front cameras will also become increasingly important.
- Utility:Battery being the biggest issue, the new trend of quick and super fast charging feature in smartphones will be a biz buzz in 2016. The Wireless Chargers will also be adding value to the smartphone eco-system. Considering the fact that more apps are being localized into multiple languages, the new smartphones will come with features in sync with multiple endpoints — from wearables to phones, tablets, and web applications.
- Security: Mobile is a highly dynamic industry and as the use cases and value of these devices continues to evolve, so do their threats. In 2016, the privacy and security issues will be a priority so in line up to the same, new smartphones will come with antivirus or security apps to exterminate adware that collects contact data to launch phishing attacks. New trends like Iris scanners are thereby giving additional security to a valued device.
[The author is Jerold Pereira, CEO Videocon Mobile Phones, Handset Division.
NextBigWhat invites views and perspectives from industry leaders. Do connect with us : email@example.com ]