There is a rise of “mobile-only” Internet population in India and as (cheap) Android devices make their way in Indian hands, more and more Indians are exposed to smartphones and the ecosystem of content and apps.
As per a study by Nielsen, the average Smartphone user spends 2.5 hours a day using their phones with 72% of their time spent on activities such as gaming, entertainment, apps and internet related content. Only 28% of their time is now used for voice calls and text messaging.
Insights from the study
- Smartphone users in India are using their phones for more than 2.5 hrs per day, of which communication (calls, SMS, emails) accounts for only 28% of usage
- Younger Smartphone users (15-25 yr olds) spend more than 3 hrs per day on their phones and spend 60% of the time on entertainment & browsing e.g., gaming, surfing the net and multimedia.
- 68% of 15-24 year olds used a chat app last month as compared to 42% for the 31+ year olds.
- Data usage for 3G users was close to 44% more than 2G users.
- An Android user installs an average of 19 apps in a month compared to 10 apps for a Symbian user.
- 84% of Android users played a game in the last month compared to 59% for Symbian users.
Time spent and activities on Smartphones
|15-24 yrs||31 + yrs|
|Total Time spent on the SmartPhone||3 hrs||2 hrs|
|Total Time spent on Browsing & Entertainment||2 hrs||1 hr|
|Total Time spent on Chat & SMS||31 mins||15 mins|
Apps and gaming behavior by Operating System
|Android™ Users||Symbian™ Users|
|No. of App downloads in a month||19||10|
|Primary Download Location||Android Market App||Ovi Store Site|