Snapdeal has announced its partnership with the government of Himachal Pradesh to launch India’s first Special e-commerce zone at Dharamshala that will house traditional products like Tankha Paintings, Kangra Arts, Handicrafts from Buddhist traditions and organic products.
The special e-commerce zone by Snapdeal endeavors to create business expansion and employment opportunities for the residents of Dharamshala.
“This offers multi-dimensional digital initiatives like creating online entrepreneurs, information technology training camps, outsourcing to local information technology companies, establishment of a Snapdeal technology innovation Lab and promoting traditional state handicrafts through a specially curated online store for Himachali handicrafts. We thank the government of Himachal Pradesh for their encouragement and support towards all our initiatives.” [Kunal Bahl, Co-founder and CEO, Snapdeal]
Following activities have been initiated by Snapdeal to build capacities in the small town.
- Snapdeal Dharmashala Store: A special store is being curated on Snapdeal that will house traditional products like Tankha Paintings, Kangra Arts, Handicrafts from Buddhist traditions and organic products.
- Training workshop and pick up facilities: To help the local artisans and manufacturers become e-commerce ready, Snapdeal is conducting training workshops which will educate them on the various processes involved while selling online. Snapdeal will also on-board these local artisans and manufacturers as sellers on its marketplace and thereby, enable them to sell nationally while supplying locally. A special pick up facility has been set up for these new sellers to transport their products to customers across the country.
- Outsourcing IT services: Snapdeal is outsourcing some part of its image tagging processes to Dharamshala based ITES start-up Development Logics. This will create job opportunities for qualified local youth and widen their exposure to national business scenarios.
- Partnering with Local Start-ups for Co-habitation: Snapdeal has tied up with Dharamshala based local IT start-up Gai Technologies for co-habitation of employees to facilitate exchange of ideas and share its experiences with the young company.
- Snapdeal Technology Lab: Snapdeal is setting up a technology lab at Dayananda Model Senior Secondary School to inculcate and enhance students’ interests in science and technology. The lab will be equipped with computers, robotic kits, technology enabled toys by Snapdeal to enable fun based learning among students.