A true test for a product is to capture expressions on people when they use it. You should make products that invoke good and positive emotions in people. Even better if you can capture these emotions - on camera. Who knows? If you get a good result, you can perhaps use it in your marketing. And if you do not get the right emotions - you'd have learnt well.
At Sensy, we took a bold step to film how people use our product - and grab their emotions while doing so. For this, we set out getting kids and relatives to a "Candid Shoot".
We set up a couch, surrounded by cameras. 6 in all, to capture every small emotion.
After everything was wired, we got people in - one by one. Sisters - 6 and 4 years old. Siblings - 10 and 5 years old. Even pairs of seniors - 60+, who've probably clocked thousands of hours watching TV together.
We gave each of them some 5 tasks: The first 5 to be accomplished using the normal remote. The next 5 using Sensy. They are free to ask for help if they are stuck. We wanted it to be as natural as possible.
The tasks were simple:
- For a kid, we'd say, go watch Pogo.
- For a senior, we'd say, switch to Aastha.
- For a teen, we'd say, find a movie on TV that has your favorite star.
- Or something like, name your 5 favorite channels. Switch to all of them in 3 minutes.
- First with the default Set-top Box remote, and then with Sensy. While they were at it, we recorded every moment, and every emotion. And then, later, we asked them what just happened. Here's a compilation from about 6 hours of video shoot: